For Donors

Who can donate?
All state employees and retirees are eligible to participate. If you are not eligible for payroll deduction, you may give by cash, check, credit card, or stock transfer gift.

When does the campaign run?
The campaign kicks-off on Sept. 1 and runs through Dec. 31 each year. However, each department/agency/university has it's own specific campaign dates. For more information about campaign dates, you can reach out to your Department Executive or University Chair.

Are my donations tax-deductible?
Yes. Keep a copy of your pledge form or print your ePledge confirmation email. You may need additional documentation to support your contribution depending on the amount you pledge. Consult your accountant or tax advisor for details.

Who determines how my donate will be used?
You choose to designate to one or more charities listed in the SECC Giving Guide. The SECC requires that designations to a single charity total at least $10 to lessen the administrative costs of the campaign.

What is the administrative cost of the campaign?
The SECC’s low administrative cost (11% of the prior year’s campaign) is a lower percentage than most charities spend on fundraising and administrative costs themselves.

What happens to my donation if I don't designate a specific charity?
The SECC’s rules specify that all undesignated gifts be proportionately distributed to those charities receiving designations. For example, if Charity A receives 5% of designated pledges, then Charity A will also receive 5% of undesignated pledges.

Is there a minimum donation to designate a charity?
Yes. The minimum donation to designate your gift to a charity is $10. If you donate less, your contribution will be undesignated.

What is the duration of my payroll deduction and when does it begin?
Deductions begin January 2023 and continue through December 2023.

Why does the credit card confirmation show EarthShare NC and not SECC?
EarthShare NC is the fiscal manager of the SECC. All credit card donations made through "Donate Now" will have EarthShare NC appearing in the payment memo on your bank statement.

Can Retirees donate via payroll deduction?
Retirees can donate cash, check or credit card. Unfortunately, once retired, payroll deduction is not offered by the state.

What is the difference between ePledge and the online pledge form?
The online pledge form allows any employee or retiree to donate through cash, check, payroll deduction, credit card, or stock transfer. E-Pledge is our online giving platform that allows an employee to give only through payroll deduction or credit card. ePledge is received via a direct email. Anyone can access the online webform/pledge form.

Is my personal information shared?
Only the information you provide (name, email and/or address and amount pledged) is shared with your designated charity or charities. You may remain anonymous (opt-out) by checking the box found on the pledge card or ePledge site.

I am looking for charities in my community to volunteer with. Can the SECC help me locate these opportunities?
We encourage you to browse individual charity websites through our charity navigator and volunteer opportunities listed through NC Volunteer.

For Volunteers

What volunteer opportunities are there with the SECC?
Visit our volunteer page to see the types of volunteer roles involved in the campaign. Be sure to also check our volunteer workshops page for upcoming workshop dates.

I want to help with my department or office's campaign. How can I get involved? Are there events and activities that I can help with for the campaign?
Visit our volunteer page to see the types of volunteer roles involved in the campaign. Be sure to get in touch with your Department Executive and Team Captain to see what events your department may be planning and other ways to get involved.

For Charities

When can charities apply?
The application period runs from November through March of the following year. Please visit our Charity Application page for more information on how to apply.

How are charities approved?
All participating charities must apply for admission annually and meet the campaign’s eligibility criteria. These criteria are established by regulations that govern the State Employees Combined Campaign. Please visit our Charity Application page for more information on how to apply.

Have a question that wasn't answered here?

Contact us and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.